Saturday, July 2, 2011

Fun With CSAs

I finally did it.  A bit late, yes, I know but blame it on the too busy/traveling/sleeping/other miscellaneous bad excuses.  I am officially an investor in a local farm!

While I believe the majority of my loyal readers know what the heck I'm talking about, let me do a quick break down for those who may not: CSA stands for "Community Supported Agriculture". Basically what that means is that you buy upfront a "share" of a local farm of your choosing and each week that farm packs up a box of goodies, based on whatever is ready for harvest, for you to take home.  The benefit for the farm is they get guaranteed financing at the start of the season for their operations, and the benefit for you is that you are guaranteed uber-fresh (as most of your box is picked within a day or so of your delivery) produce each week.   Depending on the farm, you can buy vegetable shares, fruit shares, meat shares, and even cheese. The risk is that as an investor, you share in both the successes as well as the challenges.  If it's a rough summer weather-wise, you may not get quite the bounty you were expecting. But it's a risk well worth taking.

I had been debating doing a CSA since last summer, but as I live by myself I was always worried that it would be too much food for me to go through in a week and I would waste good food and good money. But since the beginning of my Au Naturale-ness, I've seen CSAs in a new light.  It's a way for me to fulfill all my goals: buying locally, super-fresh, legitimately organic, and I know exactly where my food comes from.  I was also excited to try some of the more random and exotic offerings I've heard so much about from friends who are CSA veterans.

Part of my delay in choosing a CSA is that there were just so many to choose from! I asked around for suggestions but the only ones I received were either sold out or delivered too far away to be picked up.  My procrastination did help me narrow my choices, though, because many CSAs were sold out by the time I got around to choosing one. In the end I settled on Iron Creek Farm, a certified organic farm from Indiana which promised a bounty of produce and even some fruit (something I desperately wanted).  They deliver every Sunday to my farmer's market, making it convenient to pick up. And I've bought regularly from their booth at the market in the past, loving their heirloom tomatoes.

Last week was the first box of the CSA, which to my delight included a couple of tomatoes ranging from red to orange to yellow (they use greenhouses, why they can offer tomatoes so early), zucchinis, a pickling cucumber, 2 different lettuce mixes, a yellow pepper, and a kohlrabi.  I was super-jazzed for the kohrabi, because I had absolutely no clue what it was.  Cooking adventures awaited!  I diligently took a picture of my bounty, but sadly it got erased from the camera so I can't show you here.  However, I will tempt you with a picture of the yellow and orange tomatoes I prepped for their use on the grill:


I supplemented my farm box from other booths at the market, including a carton of garlic scapes.  Again, no clue what they were or what you use them for, but I was excited to find out.

The biggest dilemma I've had in my first week has come back to that original question: would I use all that produce in a week? I've found some creative recipes, yes, but today is Saturday, with my next box due to be picked up in a mere 24 hours, and I still have leftovers.

So in comes part 2 of my plan for my CSA shares: saving some seasonal produce for later use.  I bemoaned having to buy tomatoes from South America or California or wherever throughout the winter and salivated over the return of my precious market.  The best way to enjoy the market year-round, I decided, is to save some of it's offerings.  I can't think of anything better than pulling out some preserved tomatoes or strawberries for when the snow is falling.  What that means is that I am now on the hunt for a great vacuum-sealer, as most things in my freezer, try as I may, get freezer burn.  I think it's worth the effort and expense. Loyal readers- any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment