Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Box By Any Other Name.... **RECIPE ALERT**

Ah, the seasons. They just keep rollin' along. We are now officially in the midst of Fall. The trees have changed, most leaves have fallen, and it's getting dark now by 6pm (boo). I'm feeling pretty confident that we're well past our last late-season warm spell. It makes me sad, as summer is my favorite season of the year for many reasons. While I do enjoy the fall and many of the lovely trappings that come with it, I think I become forlorn because that means winter is just around the corner, and the next summer is oh so far away.

Summer ended in another way for me, too, a week ago: I picked up my last summer CSA share which, while small, was really quite the beautiful bounty as it was almost totally different than anything I got all season:

carrots, pie pumpkin, bell peppers, sweet potato, swiss chard, celery, broccoli


And for a bit I thought that would be it for the season. Sure, I plan to frequent the Farmer's Market for the last few Sundays they are open, but I wasn't really considering signing up for the Fall/Winter CSA share that Iron Creek was offering. I thought of how hard it was for me to get through a half box each week, and I was concerned that I would just be torturing myself to go the distance.

However, after much discussion with my boyfriend and conversations with my personal farmer, I was swayed to stick with it. The ever-supportive and encouraging BF offered to split a full share with me (after much debate on whether to split a full or half) and Tamera from Iron Creek assured me that due to the types of produce we would be getting throughout the Fall (root veggies, greens, potatoes, etc) they would keep longer and therefore reduce the stress of having to use up a whole box by the next week.

So we wrote a check and now, looking back, I am really really glad we did. Beyond missing the lazy beach days and evenings grilling out on the back deck that are the hallmarks of my summer, I was dreading having to spend my winter at Whole Foods buying organic produce from Chile or Guatemala or someplace way too far away. This Fall/Winter box goes through the middle of December (with some items lasting much longer than that), which means I will hopefully only have to shop for imported veggies for just a few short months until the market starts up again.


It also means that I get to experiment for a bit longer with veggies that I would normally shoo away. No, I have still not developed a taste for beets, and I must admit I do not miss seeing them in my box one iota. But the broccoli, of which I'm not a huge fan, keeps on coming, and now varying and very interesting types of cauliflower are landing in my crisper, too.

Back up a sec-- let me change that broccoli assessment a bit.  Over the summer I found that broccoli was beginning to grow on me (not literally, of course. That would be terrifying). I credit this change with the fact that when I do have a chance to eat a decent dinner on the road, my thirst for veggies has netted me more than a few side dishes of steamed broccoli. And really, I enjoyed them. Probably wouldn't have chosen them if there were other options, but my plate is always cleaned.

I have had about the same original feelings for cauliflower which meant, while eyeing the interesting green variety that had been chillin' in my fridge for a week, I felt the need to give this veggie a second chance. And after yet another week's worth of travel I was excited to dig into my overstuffed fridge for a cooking adventure.

The recipe I settled on--Cauliflower Steaks with Cauliflower Puree-- is really quite awesome.  I therefore share it with you below. And even if you don't have the patience or the inclination to try the whole thing, may I just say that simply caramelizing cauliflower is AWESOMELY DELICIOUS?!?!  Really. Just try it once. It has a nuttiness and a flavor all it's own that is totally different than basic cauliflower. I may just start eating that straight as a side dish as the mood strikes me.

Another cool thing about this recipe is that it can be used as an appetizer, a side, or a vegetarian main course. I decided to go for it as a main and am quite satisfied, although as I type this some Italian-style potatoes are roasting happily in the oven as the second part of my dinner. I would put a photo of the finished dish but really, cauliflower on top of cauliflower does not photograph well. If someone can find an artistic way to capture white on white (or light green on light green, as mine was) you win a prize.

And of course, it wouldn't be a true recipe alert if not for a few notes. You love it! I know! I found and modified a recipe that I found on Epicurious, where one should never discount the comment section. The majority of the negative comments-- that is, the few there were-- slammed the puree for being too bland. My version adds a number of different spices and flavorings that I thought made the puree anything but boring. I also substituted water with vegetable broth and added a touch of aged parmesan reggiano. If you don't want the cheese, don't have veggie broth, are not a garlic fan, or if paprika is too spicy for you, feel free to eliminate or substitute with other ingredients of your choosing. Also, many reviewers said they used a bit of truffle oil with great success. While that version sounds wonderful, alas I do not have truffle oil. Now, where is that shopping list?....

Cauliflower, welcome to my repertoire!
Cauliflower Steaks with Cauliflower Puree
serves 2


Ingredients:
1 1.5 lb head of cauliflower
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (or water, if you prefer)
1 cup whole milk (I used skim because that was all I had and I think it worked just fine)
1 garlic clove
1/4 cup (approx) grated fresh parmesan reggiano
salt and pepper to taste
whole peppercorns
paprika to taste
2 tbs vegetable oil plus additional for brushing

Directions:

Preheat oven to 250°F. Using sharp heavy knife and starting at top center of cauliflower head, cut two 1-inch-thick slices of cauliflower, cutting through stem end. Set cauliflower steaks aside.

Cut enough florets from remaining cauliflower head to measure 3 cups. Combine florets, 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, and milk in medium saucepan, and sprinkle generously with salt, pepper, peppercorns and paprika. Add in a whole peeled garlic clove. Bring to boil and cook until cauliflower florets are very tender, about 10 minutes, stirring often to prevent curdling. Strain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid. (NOTE: by the time I strained it I had only about a half cup of liquid left, which ended up being a perfect amount for the puree. I actually wonder if a full cup would make the consistency too watery.)

Spread florets on large rimmed baking sheet, and bake 10-12 minutes until slightly dry. Transfer florets to blender. Add reserved 1 cup cooking liquid in batches (to make sure it doesn't get too watery) and parmesan and puree until smooth. Return puree to same saucepan and increase oven temperature to 350°F.

Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in heavy large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Brush cauliflower steaks with additional oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add cauliflower steaks to skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes per side. Transfer skillet to oven and bake cauliflower steaks until tender, about 10 minutes.

Rewarm cauliflower puree over medium heat. Divide puree between 2 plates; top each with cauliflower steak.




4 comments:

  1. Oh, that sounds lovely! We don't get great big heads of cauliflower, sadly. But I might have to try that puree at least!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it helps, the head of cauliflower I used wasn't terribly big. If you use a medium sized one, at the least you should be able to get 2 steaks out of it and enough to make some puree. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cauliflower recipe sounds interesting. I love it when people use veggies in unexpected ways. So, what'd you do with your pumpkin? I'm in love with squash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used it in a pumpkin pie recipe that was a slight disaster. I destroyed the crust (which was store bought, anyway, as I was short on time) but the folks I gave it to said the filling was great and unusually fluffy- they suggested I do it again and just make it as a pumpkin mousse.

    ReplyDelete