Monday, June 20, 2011

Urban Garden: Week 3

Many thanks to my downstairs neighbor who kept these kids watered while I was traipsing around Mississippi for a week for work. They grow up so fast! (sniff...)



Speaking of both growing up fast and my recent travels, I have some questions for you, oh loyal 3 or 4 readers:

First, the best way to keep plants-- especially herbs-- healthy and growing is to pick them regularly. I know it sounds counter-productive but pruning actually causes them to grow new, bigger, and healthier leaves all at the same time.  So, that being said, I now need to find some creative ways to use both the basil and parsley as they are springing to life faster than I can cut them back. My favorite use of basil is for caprese salads, but I know there is much more out there to play with.  I also need to trim back the arugula in a huge way but I see a grilled pizza in my future for that (and yes, basil will feature prominently there, too).  Any ideas or suggestions for basil, parlsey, or combo recipes?

Second- I promised I wouldn't bore you all with minute details of the eating dilemmas of my work trips anymore.  And so there were dilemmas of the usual sort down in yonder Mississippi-- my favorite was noticing all the scary looking chemicals/preservatives in the coffee creamers; really, is that the only way to keep them from spoiling while unrefrigerated?-- but there were nice treats too, such as indulging in some incredible crayfish down in Hattiesburg, just an hour from the Gulf Coast. As I was gone for a full week this time, I invested in a box of granola bars for the inevitable days where I didn't have time for lunch between meetings.  After spending more time than I should have pouring over the ingredient list of every brand of granola bar in Whole Foods, I finally settled on Annie's Homegrown.

This one passed the Au Naturale test because it was the only "all natural"-labeled brand that actually seemed to be all natural. Sure, the rest looked perfectly fine... until you got to the last few items on the ingredient list. There I found the soy lechitin, xanthan gum, and ever-ambiguous "natural flavors". Not preservatives per se, but certainly invented or manipulated in a food lab somewhere. With Annie's, I recognized every ingredient from start to last.

However, they were... okay. Not bad, but certainly not the best granola bar I've ever had.  With a summer full of travel coming up, the hunt for a better bar continues.  So my second question for you all is: do you have a brand you love (preferably chewy)? Or better yet, a homemade granola bar recipe that you love? If so, please share in comments below (along with your basil/parsley recipes)!

4 comments:

  1. i'm a larabar fan. not a granola bar per se (as they have, um, no granola) but tasty and non-chemically and filling. other than that, i eat the kashi ones, but haven't perused the ingredient list on those lately, so am not sure where they fall on the aunaturale scale...and when i have too much basil (we're talking gallon-size ziploc bags), pesto is always the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like the one Kate uses. They're awesome. The homemade ones are definitely worth it. You can taste the oats in a way you never can with boxed store bought bars.

    http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/02/thick-chewy-granola-bars/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay. I have many opinions for fresh herbs. First, I love Ina Garten's corn salad with basil and also her green goddess dressing (though I use yogurt instead of mayo). I also love my mother's parsley salsa, which is salsa in the Italian rather than the Mexican sense. (Though I feel like you don't like anchovies. Is that correct? Even when hidden in dressings? What's your feeling on ceasar salad?)
    And finally, a chimichurri sauce is a wonderful way to use fresh herbs. Use it on grilled meats, portobella mushrooms, whatever.

    Here's my mom's salsa:
    PARSLEY SALSA

    3 cloves garlic
    One bunch parsley, leaves only
    1-2 T capers (don't need the expensive ones)
    Half tin flat anchovies
    1/3 cup oil

    Mince garlic in processor and then add parsley and process. Add capers and anchovies to make paste. Then add oil...can add more for a thinner sauce.

    Corn salad:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/fresh-corn-salad-recipe/index.html

    Green Goddess:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/bibb-salad-with-basil-green-goddess-dressing-recipe/index.html

    Chimichurri:
    http://southamericanfood.about.com/od/saladssidedishes/r/chimichurri.htm

    ReplyDelete